Thursday, December 13, 2007

Welcome Aboard The Enterprise




A couple of hours ago I realized something. I never see Black Enterprise covers being posted on various blogs, this one included. Yeah, its probably because they hardly ever have any pop culture figures on the cover. But this month they did their annual Hot List. I purchased my copy a while ago, so, its a couple of weeks old. But like I said, I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I will.

This isssue features LeBron James on the cover. Judging from the following pages, it looks like they did a multiple cover type deal with Queen Latifah, Chris Brown & Kirk Franklin, John Legend & Wyclef and Venus Williams gracing the others. They were only selling the LeBron one in my neighborhood.

Their Hot List consisted of people that they considered to be, well, Hot. They described the list as being comprised of "ultimate achievers under the age of 40 in media, music, entertainment, and sports."

I usually like to read B.E. to unplug from the industry matrix and see Black folks doing things other than entertaining and playing sports. But hey, we have a high population in that field, at least some of us are making some good money in it, I suppose. I just hope that this doesn't become a trend. I think they should stick to featuring the bankers, engineers, doctors that we have. That's just me though. I guess there is nothing wrong with recognizing our big names in entertainment and presenting them in a somewhat different light. It probably lures more young readers away from alot of the other distractions, er, magazines on the shelves. Which is a good thing.

Anyways, next time you're at Kroger, skip past the XXL, VIBE, SLAM, KING, ESSENCE, SISTER to SISTER and peep the Black Enterprise. Get some financial knowledge and encouragement to be great...not "hot."

2 comments:

R.E. said...

Damn, MGG. Thanks for reminding me to get my Black Enterprise up. Fux hip-hop. I need to get my life together.

Clint Southwood said...

About time,
We need writers and marketers for Black Enterprise to market towards the youth because they are spending their money foolishly. Don't get me wrong we need to keep the integrity of the magazine but what's wrong with targeting the future.