Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This Show Was The Sh!t



Last night I went to a dope ass show. I was going to support the homie Small Eyez, but I didn't quite know what to expect from Spree Wilson and Tendaberry. I'd heard some of Spree's music before, but I really didn't enjoy it at the time. Tendaberry, well I'd never heard their stuff.

But man...I think I'm a fan of everybody on that stage now...all three of these acts ripped it.

Spree went on first and dude pretty much set the tone for the night. Dude played guitar, rapped, told jokes...quite entertaining. But, and I'm sure others will admit to this as well, his drummer stole the show...hell, he damn near ended it!

First, I saw the drummer doing shit I'd never seen before. He would be banging out on the drums and then he'd get up and walk around the drumset, still playing and playing on beat! At one point he messed around and let one the sticks fly out of his hand, so someone tossed it back to him and he caught it on some one-handed Randy Moss shit and stayed on beat with what he was doing.

Unfortunately, he was rocking out so hard that he put a hole in the snare. So at that point, Spree's show came to an end. And it also put Tenderberry's show in jeopardy too, being that they are a punk rock band.

After that, Small Eyez went up and did his thing as usual. I've only heard his stuff through myspace and CD, but seeing him do his thing live was an added bonus. I suggest that you keep up with his schedule so you can see what I'm talking about.

I think he only planned on doing a certain amount of songs but he kinda had to stall until that snare drum got replaced so that Tendaberry could go on. He did a good job in stalling because all of the songs he did were damn good. "Score," "Blink" and "Cruise Control" were my personal favs.

By the time Small Eyez finished a new snare had showed up so the show could go on. I'm not gonna lie, when I saw Tendaberry, I didn't know what to expect. I don't judge people by their appearance, but, from looking at these cats, you knew what they were NOT going to do, but not exactly they were going to do.

Turns out, they were a Punk Rock band and they are dope as hell. Seeing them perform reminded me how much I like Punk and made me go home and dig up some of my old Bad Brains records. I really need to cherish my little punk collection more than I do. I think the last thing I bought that could be classified as such was that first Yeah Yeah Yeah's album a few years back. I'm slipping...

Anyways, these dudes had a wealth of material in their catalog and all of it was dope. They also played some punked out versions of "Cherchez La Ghost", Prince's "Controversy" and Kanye's "Can't Tell Me Nothing." I was in that bitch rocking out!

The climax of the night was when all three acts ended the night with a jam session where Spree and his guitar joined Tendaberry to play a punk rendition of Outkast's "Elevators" with Small Eyez freestyling over it, shit was dope. Oh yeah, the drummer was banging out on the back door...

Anyways, I just felt I had to share that. I have so many peers complain about the quality and freshness of music, but yet, I don't see alot of them in the quality and fresh places. I mean, yeah, I do my share of complaining about what's out there, but I've found that in order to find the new new, you have to go outside and play. Its that simple.

Seeing this show last night really has me kicking myself for not buying a video camera yet. I have to put that on my list of purchases for next month. This would have been a perfect youtube moment.

You can peep the mixtape made to coexist with the show HERE

2 comments:

Monk said...

Spree's DOPE!!

Eyez said...

you know its 10 days later...& im just now seeing this!


dope ass review. & much luv.

Maurice is A Radiant Kid!

LLets Go!