Tuesday, August 19, 2008

NO MORE RAPPERS!!!!!!!




This has been on my mind for some time now. I've tried my hardest to keep it to myself because I don't want to be a dream crusher or tell people what they can or cannot do. But fugg it, I have to say it...

NO MORE RAPPERS!!!!!!

I'm sure this thought isn't anything new under the sun. But damn! I just got finished judging a talent showcase (whats up Honey, thanks for inviting me out). I got there at 10:30pm and didn't get out of there until 2:45. And guess what...they wasn't done!

Like I said before, I can't sit here and tell people they shouldn't chase their dreams. I mean, I'd probably feel a certain way if someone would have told me "its too many niggas writing" 5 years ago.

That's why I'm saying as of this day, hour, minute, second....well actually as of last night...there should be a Rapper Cut-Off Line. So, if you weren't rapping as of last night or hadn't made any real stride in the craft or contribution to the culture, i.e. performed for more than the 5 people in your living room or printed up CDs with real ink (no magic marker)...just stop, now.

The world does not need another rapper. We have enough of those to last us until Armegeddon. All we need to do is tell the cats thats already rapping to just keep getting better or encourage them to stop as well if they are wack.

I swear man...like, last night was not the first time I'd judged a showcase. So I knew what I was getting into. But for some reason, it just hit me like damn...its alot of niggas rapping. As each act got on stage and did their thing I kept imagining them doing something else. Something that we need.

We need more dentists. We need more doctors. We need more economists. More truck drivers. More chefs. More store owners. I need a teacher for my unborn child. A rapper? No, I don't need or want another one of those.

Of course, to some, rapping is merely a hobby. Some people paint, some people build model cars, some people rap. Cool. If thats how you pass your time, do your thing and keep it just that a hobby. But as far as more cats trying to "get on" no, please stop the madness.

Its almost as if rapping has become its own language. Its damn near equivalent to speaking English...because everybody does it. Its like rapping is the 6th Sense. Seeing, Hearing, Touching, Tasting, Smelling....Rapping.

I probably should have set if off in there last night now that I think about it. Giving someone a low score probably didn't contribute to starting the Rapper Cut-Off Line. Hell, that shit probably got interpreted as "hating." And you know niggas do with their haters! Make them their motivators, cause they on the grind, son!!!!!

From now on, I think I'm either gonna start throwing shit on stage or come to these showcases with stacks of various job applications. Maybe a couple school applications too. Something to show cats that there are other things that they could be doing and striving for.

Am I the only one who feels like this? What do you think the criteria should be to let a rappers past the Rapper Cut-Off Line?

Oh yeah...yall non-blending, no-mixing DJs need a cut-off line too. The same is about to go for ya'll "producers" that don't even know what an instrument looks like.

13 comments:

YaBoy Po said...

what if you wrote poetry in elementary when u used to go to snapfinger (east side allll day lol) and then started getting older and spittin here and there for fun dropped out got a GED then went to college and they put u in this remedial ass english class where the dumbass teacher say you cant write and journalism is a bad choice of major when u kno better so u flunked out and couldn't find no other way to support yo self that was legal being the south is extremely hard on young black felons and was like shiiiiiiiiiiiiit i can rap????

lol good post bra when u first start writing for ozone and do they sell back issues?

*Blog Ladi* said...

wow!!! I went to snapfinger; however, i digress....

umm maurice, what if all you do is listen to jeezy all day and you realize you can't be a dopeboy because you're a natural born snitch and you don't wanna end up with a rep like Officer Rawse, so you just become a rapper in Atlanta and hope for the best? lol

Anyways, I'm going to showcase tonight. Maybe I will show out on behalf of you. I'm young, so I have nothing to lose. I will tell they ass they need to stop. ANd the cut off is definitely 25. If you are not signed to a deal in the studio making your debut, i need you to go outside and die because your dream will not come true. =/

MGarland said...

dang...its a Snapfinger reunion in here...I went there for 1st grade before i went to Atherton

BP said...

feel you on all these non musically inclined push button playskool face ass beat makers, ainteengon call em producers bruh...

Quiet Storm said...

I feel you man... I keep listening to new artists hoping that it will get better, but it doesn't. Im glad that some of these young kids are rapping tho... They could me robbing my ass!! lol

TC said...

Co-sign. Blame the industry. They need to police who they let in and out the door. Just cuz you can make a half-baked hit shouldn't be enough anymore. The game is bloated.

THE UNDERWRITER said...

Preach.

Anonymous said...

i disagree with you... we NEED rappers that push the envelope on creativity. I'm sure you "talent" show was filled with a bunch of gangster killer gang bangin' drug kingpins. that we don't need.

the problem is these young rappers don't have a point of reference to inspire them... they're inspired by 90s hip hop. that's not bad but they need to educate themselves on the stuff from the late 70s and 80s t really be 'bout it!

peace

Wes Fif said...

LOL! We spoke about this on messenger nigga. U should add MODELS to this as well.

Anonymous said...

please tell me you were at that free nelly concert at the tabernacle to catch the Goodie MoB reunion.. i need video!!!!!!! of course i turned down the opportunity to go to this concert

Баян said...

i smell u on that rant...
u can't even imagine how many rappers (or rappers wannabe's) in Russia and them as well, and there is even no industry out here, they're all deep underground, not even performing anywhere, but u won't believe how many they are, that can be scary

this is the situation i was talking about in my track as early as 2003

it's a plague LMFAO

hanson ono. said...

how bout "NO MORE RHETORIC!!!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

No more rappers is right unless your as good as me and cassidy